The Double Portion Blessing and Anointing of the Holy Spirit.
Isaiah 61:7 Instead of their shame my people will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance.
If you were the first-born son of a Jewish family, you received a double portion of your family’s inheritance. You received at least twice as much as any other family member.
While there are many examples of the double portion in the Old Testament, two stand out for me with great significance.
You may recall the story of Esau selling his double portion for a bowl of stew to Jacob in Genesis 25:29-34.
There is also the story of Elijah and Elisha when Elisha asks Elijah for a double portion of the Holy Spirit that Elijah has before being taken up to Heaven in a whirlwind by God.
In 2 Kings 2:9-10 Elijah told Elisha that you ask for a difficult thing but you will have it if you see me when I am taken.
Now fast forward to Jesus Christ. We know that Jesus (who is Jewish), is the first-born Son of God and He obviously has received everything that the Father has and more. For those of us who trust in Christ, we are line to receive the double portion blessing of Jesus Christ.
Romans 8:16-17 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
Ephesians 1:13-14 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.
Let’s take a deeper look at our key scripture in Isaiah 61:7 Instead of their shame my people will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance.
Bottom line is this—God wants to replace our shame with his double portion Holy Spirit and blessing!! And God wants to replace our disgrace with his inheritance that is personally guaranteed by His Holy Spirit!!
Friends, God is in charge of the greatest exchange program in the history of the Universe!
· We exchange our life for His!
· We exchange our shame for his double portion blessing!
· We exchange our disgrace for his guaranteed inheritance!
· We exchange our sin for his forgiveness!
· We exchange our hate for his love!
· We exchange our pain for his power!
· We exchange our hurts for his healing!
· We exchange our habits and hang-ups for His Holy Spirit!
· We exchange our character defects for His character!
· We exchange our strongholds for our Strong Tower!
· We exchange our identity for a new identity in Christ!
· We exchange our old nature for His new nature!
· We exchange our hopelessness with his eternal hope!
· We exchange our dead-end destiny to an eternal never-ending destination in heaven, with God forever and ever! Amen!
I could not think of a better way to close our series on the Holy Spirit than to talk about how to receive a double portion blessing and anointing so we can have twice the life and power of God in our lives.
Please be sure to invite your friends and family if you live in KY. We will live stream the service like we always do at www.facebook.com/churchofthesavior/
This by far will be the most impactful night in our Holy Spirit series. We are all going to be filled with the “Double Portion” blessing and anointing of the Holy Spirit! We are going to leave with twice the Holy Spirit and twice the life of Christ!
Be Blessed and Encouraged